So, I finally ditched Tiger and went for the newness that is Leopard – not without its problems which I will explain in another post. My problem? My shiny iPod touch won’t mount / sync or even be recognised by iTunes – it charges but that’s it (and I suspect the charging is down to USB not iTunes). What to do – fix it like this.
Fixing iPod Mounting Problems under Leopard
- Open up your Applications directory (Command / Shift / A) and put iTunes into the Trash Can.
- Go to Folder (Apple / Shift / G) and enter “/System/Library/Extensions” (without the quotes), find AppleMobileDevice.kext and put that in the trash as well.
- Again – go to folder (Apple / Shift / A) and enter “/Library/Receipts” (minus quotes), find AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and put that in the trash to.
- Empty the trash (and keep fingers crossed!!)
- Point your browser at www.apple.com/itunes and grab the latest copy, install and eureka, it’s fixed!
Even if you have loads of music on your mac, it shouldn’t make any difference as your library is stored in Music – I’ve got about 10,000 songs and everything works as normal including iPod Syncing!!!